Monday, December 13, 2021

Six Mile Cove to Quartzsite

Six Mile Cove, on Lake Mohave was a great place to hang out for a few days, but it was starting to get a bit crowded (for us).  There were only 5 rigs in a huge area along the beach, but that's about 4 rigs more than I'm used to!  They were all very nice people, but there were several dogs - which makes it more difficult for Hailey to wander, and the cell service was present, but fairly slow or intermittent at times.  The only generators were at the far end of the beach, and not usually audible, but when the water heater in a nearby class A kicked in at 0400, I thought perhaps the space shuttle was taking off!

And any time I have to close my curtains for privacy indicates that I could perhaps find a better spot!

 Picking garbage at Six Mile ...

Night time camp visitors ...






So, we packed up and headed south to Laughlin and Bullhead City. A quick detour out to Katherines Landing provided a dump and a water fill, and the cheapest diesel was going for $3.25 in Fort Mohave.

We made another stop at a huge laundromat that we used a lot three years ago, and luckily there was no need for Hailey to stop at the vet where we spent so much time (and money) in 2019.  It was getting late by the time the laundry was done, so we headed just out of town to a spot where we camped out when we had to make almost daily vet visits 3 years earlier, but there were other rigs too close for comfort, so we continued up towards Oatman.

We got on route 66 and turned away from Oatman, but that did not stop the burro welcoming committee from making a roadside appearance!
It was dusk when we just pulled off the side of the road, and spent the night in a pull-off unfortunately typical of this area, filled with broken glass, car parts, junk and rusted metal.  When the sun went down and hid the trash, there was a great view of the lights of the valley below- all the way to Needles, Ca.



In the morning, route 66 took us down through Golden Shores, a brief jog east on I-40, then down to Lake Havasu. Grocery supplies were updated, but otherwise it was non-stop southbound through  LHC, Parker, and Quartzsite.  We had a spot in mind south of Quartzsite, and found it just as we left it two years ago.   

So nice to find these areas completely trash-free, as usual.  Won't need to be picking up bags full here!

It wasn't long before a couple of hummingbirds found the feeder.

One preferred to perch while feeding, while the other, hovering!


It was also a great spot to get out the e-bike and start exploring the trails in the area.  Neighbours in the background are at a more appropriate distance!







One of the bike trips took me to this wildlife watering facility way out in the desert.  It's likely within the boundaries of the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge.
They have installed large areas of roofing materials to catch and save any rain in underground reservoirs, and make it available to wildlife.  I think desert Bighorns are the intended species, but lots of other wildlife and birds take advantage of the rare water source, judging by the tracks
Cameras are monitoring the site.
There is water at the bottom of those 'stairs'.
Pretty decent weather, most of the time, but we did get a brief sprinkle of rain - to make the desert smell so good.




9 comments:

  1. Congrats on avoiding camping neighbors, although it doesn't sound quite right to say this! If there was more beneficial interaction, neighbors could be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found a beautiful site south of Quartzsite. I like staying around the Palm Canyon area. I certainly like solitude over neighbors any day. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the less congestion too. Especially these days. Today, I stopped at my local home depot and not one parking space and I found 1 AZ plated vehicle per 12 out of state. Us locals love the snowbirds however, it seems each new year brings more and more unpleasant people to our local area. So many seem to think we all need them for their money, and that is just not true anymore. I am praying for Phoenix temps to go up to 100 degrees for a few weeks just to open up parking for us locals to get our shopping needs done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you well know, we liked our privacy and solitude as well and it was an ever increasing PITA trying to find 'just the right spot.' We've had a few short stays in RV Parks over the years and I could never understand why anyone would voluntarily want to do that. I still remember our Jeep ride at Bouse and the hike we took to the 'Horse and Gray Tanks' in the Kofa mountains. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! You couldn't pay me to stay in most of those parks.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if that mouskie in the game picture made it thru the night?
    I was amazed that the hot water heaters are almost as loud as those cheap gennies..Just don't park too close to one I guess...
    10* and 2' of snow up here, my Barn Kat..B.K. is turning into a H.K. ( house kat)....I think he has me quite well trained....
    Safe roads..eh?
    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think in the past 40 years I've stayed at 1..One K.O.A. the temps in South Dakota were 100's+..as we headed to Devil's Tower..
    I have much more space at home...And my Kat only meows....He's such a good dude..neighbor...

    ReplyDelete
  7. One year I made the mistake of asking the camp host on Palm canyon Road in Kofa about a similar looking watering hole I discovered on my bicycle ride. I was read the riot act. "You're not allowed to bicycle in the wildlife refuge."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! This watering hole is at the end of a designated BLM route, and there are no signs at all. You can drive your truck there. Sometimes, I’ve seen signs saying no camping within 1/4 mile …The sign entering Kofa on MST&T road bans off-road driving, etc. but no mention of bikes. The only anti-bike signs I’ve seen were in a Mojave National Preserve - Wilderness area, saying No Mechanical Transportation. Sometimes, well meaning volunteers can be a bit too officious? I was camped in a different refugee one time, and a BLM ranger drove by, not seeming to have a problem with where I was camped. Later, an officious volunteer came by and told me I couldn’t camp there!

      Delete