Monday, April 04, 2022

Sidewinder Road and beyond.


After a week or so camped in the southern part of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, we headed back to the Yuma area, pulling in just short of the Colorado River on Sidewinder Road.  We found the same spot where we had been camped two years ago, when the start of Covid had necessitated our departure northward a bit ahead of schedule.
Wow - the awning is out!  That doesn't happen more than once or twice a year to dry it out!
 

Like many places near military bases, we were treated to almost daily airshows!

Even some Ospreys were seen passing by.


Friends stopped by for happy hour and a fire ... They had been camped in the same area earlier, but the strong unrelenting winds drove them into a nearby RV park - complete with a swimming pool!  So I felt forced to visit them there a few times too!


Later in the evening, an uninvited but welcome guest made an appearance.
 
It must be springtime in the desert, as more and more things are beginning to bloom.

Other things - just stay sharp and menacing!

Temperatures were beginning to climb ...


I went for a little drive down to the border area, just to the south of Pilot Knob.  There is a canal running parallel to the border fence here, so you cannot get right to the fence.



I hoped perhaps I could make it all the way to the Algodones road, but the vehicle track proved to be a dead end.  Just as I turned around, a Border Patrol truck appeared behind me!

For some reason, a gate in the fence appeared to be open!

A friend was going to Algodones for some dental work one day, so I went along for the ride - and a $5. haircut.  I took these photos of the Mexican side of the border wall, right in  the downtown area.
 
He was finished in good time, so we had breakfast, and a beer, and got in line to cross the border again.

It was getting a bit warm in the Yuma area, and I had to spritz water on Ms Hailey a few times to keep her cool - so we reluctantly started our move northward.  First stop was Lake Havasu where we picked a spot on top of a ridge to maximize airflow. My neighbour had the new Starlink dish, but didn't offer to share the signal!
 
 
I did my 'annual' hike up Table Top mountain(Lizard Peak?) in SARA park,  
and did some biking along the 'channel' and around the island.


Spring break was winding down.

But, it was still too hot to leave my little girl alone for long, so we hooked up and headed out again.
That's about 98.6 in Fahrenheit!


You'll have to come back later to see where we head next!




1 comment:

  1. I especially liked your candid waist level bicycle shot. Aw yes, the old homeward bound trip. At least you are smart enough to take your time and not rush home like a speeding bullet the way we always did.

    ReplyDelete