Friday, April 01, 2022

Anza Borrego Desert State Park

We enjoyed our time camped in Ironwood Forest National Monument, with it's quiet camp spot, and convenient access into Tucson.  But, we were near the 14 day limit, and it was time for some new adventures!  We picked up the I-10 near Marana and headed west past Picacho State park, and Eloy, where Doug, Yuma, and Nick took up temporary residence a bit later :-(
This time, we found the new-to-us RV dump site at the Chevron in Gila Bend.  Gas Buddy showed some cheaper (!) fuel at the Circle K there, but they were all sold out when we got there.  Luckily, I had 10 gallons of spare fuel which I dumped in, so we could reach the cheaper prices in Yuma.
We did fuel up and filled the cans in Yuma - even so it was a new high record fuel purchase for me.

Our intended destination was the southern portion of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, so we cruised on west on the I-8 till the small town of Ocotillo where we headed northward into the park, looking for one of our all-time favourite camp spots.  The border patrol checkpoint was not in operation so we cruised non-stop, hoping our spot was vacant - and it was!  There were a couple of Class C's nearby, but they both departed the following morning, so we had the place to ourselves after that.
 
 
There are some large Mexican Weeping Pine trees at what must have been a historic ranch at one time.  They provide some shade, a wind-break, and most importantly, a place to sling the hammock!
There are a number of desert travel routes in the area, which provided lots of opportunity get out on the bike and explore.  Two official park campgrounds are nearby, Bow Willow, and Mountain Palm Springs, so the bike was used to explore both of those, as well as a hike up to the palm grove and springs, with a trail from both campgrounds.  Sorry Al, we didn't make it as far as the Christmas Circle, Jilbertos, or even the Marshall South place this trip.
Some of the Ocotillo cactus were flowering, but they didn't have leaves!




It was so nice there, that I spent two nights in the hammock under the almost full moon - with no need for a rain fly or bug net :-)


Bow Willow campground in the background, behind the bike.
Friends in Winterhaven advised me of an airshow that was about to happen at the nearby Naval Air Facility El Centro.  With little hesitation, I headed that way, in time for a performance from the Blue Angels, and other military and historic aircraft.   I got a special welcoming committee upon arrival, and was selected for a full vehicle search!  They wouldn't even let me watch them search, but it didn't take long, they were friendly, and I was soon on my way inside to watch the show.
 
 


The Blue Angels were the headliners, of course, but it seemed like the gremlins caused a few issues for them as well.  It appeared that one of their fleet was not up to the task that day, so the poor pilot got towed down the taxiway in front of the crowd, to pick up the backup jet.
They connected the backup and headed back out to the runway with it.  But then, it appeared that the second pilot had gotten left behind and he went sprinting at full speed to catch up to the towed craft, which eventually stopped and let him aboard!


Of course, the show itself went off apparently flawlessly, with another loud, impressive performance.


 Meanwhile, back in camp, there were visitors almost every night.

I had my weekly panic over Ms Hailey one day in that camp spot.  With her tags, huge neon orange bell and an Apple airtag, you'd think I would not lose her!  But, she was nowhere to be seen - and there really aren't many places to hide, and there is open ground all around.  So, I searched and searched in ever-widening circles, till eventually I spotted her sound asleep, perfectly camoflaged, laying in the shade, not 30 feet from my hammock!  She never ever takes off, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that this might be the first time!


A few hummingbirds visited the feeder, but so did this yellow bird, who somehow seemed able to get some of the sweet juice from the feeder.  Attempts to identify this bird came up short!
On our return trip towards Yuma, we avoided the interstate and dropped down along the Mexican border on highway 98.  It proved a good choice with minimal traffic and brand new, wide pavement, all the way to Calexico.  From there, there was detours, so we got back on I-8 for the remainder of our way to Sidewinder Road.
It will soon be time to start inching northward on our migration home!








3 comments:

  1. Ox Bow Campground rang a faint bell for me so I climbed aboard my Google Maps plane and flew on down to the area I figured you were. I found the campground and figure the name rang a bell from a road sign we had passed one time while traveling from Borrego Springs down through Ocotillo, west towards San Diego then north coming back to Borrego Springs through Julian. I especially liked your up close Ocotillo flower. I well know that feeling when you suddenly realize you can't find your pet. For me that is about as close to panic as I ever get. Great critter cam pics of the fox. Oh how I loved going to air shows years ago. You were lucky to be in the right place at the right time for that. That highway 98 you took running along the Mexican border reminded me of the highway running from Columbus New Mexico to El Paso Texas. Aw yes, the long journey home...we'll be following you all the way:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow bird is a Baltimore Oriole. Nice airshow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The camp site looks like Carrizo Campground, a nice shaded area on the east side of S2. Not much for cell service, but you might have seen quite a bit f the air show from there.

    ReplyDelete