Tuesday, August 15, 2017

To BC and back.

For our next road trip, it seemed like a good time to go and do some lake camping in BC.  Much of BC is still very smoky from all the forest fires, but as long as you avoid the actual fire areas, it might not be too bad.

We headed west on the Trans Canada highway into British Columbia.  There were the usual wrecks along the way.

IMG_8390

After a night visiting with friends in Revelstoke, we headed south across the Galena Bay Ferry, then took the road south to Trout Lake.  After checking out a few possible spots on the lakeshore, it was great to find out that my favourite spot was vacant!  The water in the lake was low and getting lower, so there was lots of beach exposed.  The spot is completely private, and small, so once there you know you have it all to yourself.  Perhaps because of the smoke in the area and a fire ban in place, there may have been less people than usual recreating in the area.

vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h27m00s477vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h22m59s942IMG_3469IMG_3466

Lots of good exploration and hunting opportunities for Hailey.  She had a blast, chasing the squirrels, climbing trees, and watching the ducks.

IMG_3464IMG_3463IMG_3461IMG_3456IMG_3459IMG_3458

Smoke varied a bit from day to day, but it was always present.

IMG_3457IMG_3454

GoPro went underwater for a few shots …

vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h32m31s739vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h27m52s017

The only bugs around were horse flies, and I got pretty adept at swatting them.  The next users will find countless numbers of their carcasses buried in the sand!  Others were drowned in the lake.  Hailey helped out by catching any that got inside.

IMG_8400IMG_8396IMG_8392IMG_8391

The area is completely devoid of any cell service, and I don’t bother bringing my satellite system during the summer, so after 4 days it was time to move on and get updated on the fires, and any other news from the ‘outside’.

We stumbled onto the Jazz festival in Kaslo.

IMG_8411IMG_8414IMG_8415IMG_8416

We checked it out for a while, but it was hot, and parking anywhere in town was virtually impossible, so we decided to move on.  We headed out west towards New Denver, but then spotted a sign along the highway pointing to Buchanan lookout.  Working or not, it seems I am attracted to fire lookouts.  After a 12km climb on mostly good logging roads we arrived at the now closed fire lookout.  The last 2km were a bit on the rough side.

  IMG_8437IMG_8439

The lookout has not been used since 1982 Sad smile, but they have maintained it for interpretive purposes.  Although you cannot go inside the lookout cabin itself, you can see in all the windows at the setup that would have been in place when it was last used.

IMG_8434IMG_8431vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h35m57s523vlcsnap-2017-08-15-10h34m48s225

There was an unused hang glider launch ramp.

IMG_8440IMG_8438

Even after the long drive out of town, and up the logging road to the lookout, it was still possible to hear music from the festival far below on the shores of Kootenay Lake.

IMG_8435IMG_8432

IMG_8442IMG_8443IMG_8441IMG_8448IMG_8447IMG_8446

While it was relatively cool on the mountain top by the lookout, next days travel had us back down in the valley bottoms where it was very hot.  I much prefer open windows and a breeze to air conditioning, but eventually it got so warm that I could not resist a refreshing swim in the river near Slocan.

After a few days south of Trail down along the Pend Oreille river, taking advantage of the AT&T signal coming across the line, we detoured around some new forest fires and motored back up through Nelson.  It was hot again, so a brief stop was in order at Kokanee Creek Provincial Park to cool off with another swim at the beach.  Later we took the Crawford Bay ferry across the south end of Kootenay lake.

IMG_8484IMG_8483IMG_8451

Watching carefully for another swimming spot, we found another quiet shore access location on a short, steep 4WD trail near Gray Creek.  It was very close to the road, but because of the ferry, there is only brief spurts of traffic.

Heading back homeward, we passed through Kootenay National Park where an out of control fire has been burning for weeks.  The highway has regularly been closed  to traffic during this time, but it was open when we got there.  Smoke was very very thick through the park where I used to work, and I was glad to keep on moving to Alberta where the smoke was much thinner.  By later in the day, we were unloading at home, for another visit.  It would prove to be a short stay again as Alberta Forestry called up again with a couple of different options if I wanted to get high in the north.  In a tower, that is …

IMG_8488

3 comments:

  1. That is a nice retirement setup you have with the forestry service. I was offered a full time rehire, but no work when you want type of job. Now my security clearance has expired and I am out of the workforce completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really want to work or need to work, and turned down my recall this spring. When I told them I was willing to fill in on a casual basis, I never figured they would call. But they have - several times, so I can choose the offers that might be fun, or take me to a new area. Seems like a win-win to me, and Hailey gets more helicopter time!

      Delete
  2. Some of those landscape photos bring back fond memories for me of my few years living in Vernon BC back in the early 70's. I absolutely loved British Columbia and especially the Okanagan Valley and had it not been for my first wife and I splitting up I would likely still be there. I always thought one day I would return to BC but here it is 42 years later and I still haven't made it back. Good for you and Haily getting out there and traveling around. Sure ain't no moss growing on you guys eh.

    ReplyDelete