Parked on the California coast listening to the surf,watching the pelicans, and enjoying the sun was nice, for almost a week.

Our second spot was just as good as the first spot we stopped for three nights.

But the weather was changing and a storm front was coming through – and got to us early one morning – had the rig rocking pretty good. It calmed down before we headed down into Fort Bragg.


From Fort Bragg, we headed inland on highway 20, and took it almost over to the I-5. We stopped early for the night at a nice little BLM camp spot – Cowboy Camp. It is set up as a horse staging area. Lots of gopher holes in the area, so Hailey had a good time watching for them to poke their heads out, and I spotted a couple of elk napping high on a grassy slope above the camp.

For a change of route and scenery, we took highway 16 down towards Woodland.

There was a long road construction delay, but who’s in a hurry anyway, with the morning coffee in hand. At least we were at the front of a long line so we could see what was going on.

After a short run down I-5, and scooting non-stop through Sacramento, highway 50 took us straight for the high country of the Sierras. That’s when things started to get interesting! We had been feeling smug about getting out of Alberta before seeing a single snowflake …
Then, the snow started to fall, and build up on the road shoulders, and the ‘chain-up’ signs were flashing. Signs said that 4WD vehicles with snow tires were OK, so there was no worry, right? WRONG!

Soon, we encountered lines of vehicles stopped on the shoulder of the road installing tire chains. We cruised on by – till we got to the Cal-Trans guys at the head of the line. Much to my surprise, they said we could not continue without chains – on the trailer!! Well that’s a first for me!.
But, as the fellow explained; if you are on a downgrade on ice and your trailer brakes come on – the trailer could easily try to pass you, without some enhanced traction of it’s own?
We had to pull a U-turn and head back down the road a ways to consider this development. There were teams of free-lancers on the road offering to install chains for $40, or remove them for $20. Looked like they were making good money! And a small business where we stopped actually had a drive-through chain sales and installation shop. They were overwhelmed, and doing a brisk business!
(Too bad I didn’t bring the unused chains I had at home for some long-gone vehicle. I could have sold them for a good profit?)
It was too far back to realistically consider another route, and I didn’t really want to pay $150 or so for a set of chains I was guaranteed to never use again, so I wondered about just ‘camping’ in a pull-off somewhere till things improved – though the Cal-Trans guys said it was just going to get worse. Yay. After a half hour or so of contemplation (procrastination) I thought I’d try and run the road block again, hoping for a different result! Well, it was not to be, and they turned me around again.
Dang it! But this time, I just parked up against a snowbank, determined to wait them out, or even stay the night. I got to work, researching the Cal Trans policies on chains, and loading their radio frequencies in my scanner, so I could stay up to date on what they were doing. I learned the short-hand lingo they use, and almost immediately heard that the road was upgraded to R-2, meaning that chains were no longer required! Sure enough the Cal Trans guys were closing up shop as I made a quick U-turn and headed up the 7400’ Echo summit!

There was some packed snow and ice on the road – just enough to give my formerly clean truck and trailer a nice coating of road dirt.
But before long I was down to for a nice view of Lake Tahoe.
Eventually we made it down the huge 2300’ drop on the Kingsbury grade, taking us down into Nevada, and some thankfully cheaper fuel. Filled up at $4.88 for diesel, and then started our run down 395, and back into California. In Bridgeport, where prices are always extreme …
We stopped at our usual spot at Travertine hot springs for the night, and had one relaxing soak in the morning, but with a skiff of fresh snow, and temperatures that didn’t even get above freezing during the day, we didn’t stay.
Back on 395 in the morning, we were scared to see another chain-up sign for the 8300’ passes ahead. But this time, there was only a snowplow truck parked on the shoulder and the road was only wet. Diesel was going for $7.79 at one station in Lee Vining!
Elevation keeps dropping the further south you go, so the snow was gone before reaching Bishop, and there was none in the Alabama Hills above Lone Pine. We stopped here at least for the night, but with a stiff breeze blowing, we may not stay long.




Where to next? We don’t know either, so stay tuned to find out!